We are looking for fiction which is bold and daring. Fiction which is experimental, rebellious and dreamy.
We are not interested in therapeutic mood pieces which describe the sea and how it reflects our inner turmoil.
We have similar guidelines to other independent literary online fiction magazines.
The Fiction Pool is run by unpaid volunteers and these guidelines really do make it easier and faster to assess manuscripts.
- Word count for flash fiction is up to 1000 words
- Word count for short stories is up to 2500 words
- Word count for a poem is no more than one page of A4
- You can enter up to two flash fiction pieces, one short story or four poems at once
- Work must not have been published electronically or in print
- Please let us know if you are submitting your work elsewhere and/or if it has been accepted asap
- Only query your submission if we have not responded after three months. Our response time aim is four weeks maximum
- Please double space your work and use Arial point 12
- Attach a Word document only (no PDFs) to the email. Do not paste into the body of the email
- Attach a 50 word third person biography in the body of the email. One or two links to your author website or social media profile is fine
- The email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Editor is Jo Simmonds
- Please put SUBMISSION in the subject field of the email
- Work from marginalised writers (LGBTQ, disabled, BAME) will be given extra attention with no guarantee of publication. Let us know in your email
- Unfortunately we cannot provide feedback due to time restraints. We may not be able to amend your work post publication. Any errors reproduced on the site from your submission are your responsibility as we cannot be sure if errors are intentional or genuine. There are links to affordable editing services on the links page
- All rights revert to the author after publication
- We do not review short story or poetry books. This may change in the future, so do check back
- We are not funded so we do not pay for work